Wednesday 7 December 2016

Drafting and Planning: Masthead Design

In preparation for creating my magazine, I designed some mastheads that I could use on my front cover. Having an effective masthead is important for any magazine as many shops and outlets that sell magazines have too many to display to be able to put them out on the shelf next to one another. Because of this, having an effective Upper left third masthead is the best way to ensure your magazine is seen by everyone who looks.
When designing my mastheads I decided to keep the colour scheme as Red fill with black outline (this may change later) to give myself a fair comparison between all of my designs.
Designs 1, 2, 3 and 4 are simply different fonts (1: Amelia BT 2: Cinema Gothic BTN Shadow 3: Annie BTN 4: Agency FB) with the same colour scheme, while design 5 is a mixture of Times New Roman and Agency FB however, the O and the arrow coming off the O was my own design. I decided to use an arrow in this design as the word “Outre” comes from the French word “OutrĂ©” meaning “unusual and typically rather shocking.” Or “Out of the norm” – Something that I feel represents the Alternative music scene. After looking over these 5 designs, I prefer my own design, number 5 as it is unique, but also captures the meaning behind the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment